Now that the snow has melted, it’s been apparent to me that there’s been quite an accumulation of trash along the side of Coral Reef Rd leading to the TLPOA office building. Last Sunday, I decided to do something about it: I went out and picked it up.
I started along the middle berm of Coral Reef at the gas station and made my way down toward the security gate picking up cans, bottles, trash, random car parts, a door mat, lottery tickets, a bottle of window cleaner, a bottle of motor oil, and empty cigarette boxes. It wasn’t long before my 55 gallon trash bag was full. I had made it about three quarters of the way to the security gate when I turned around and started the walk back with 15 lbs of trash.
Here is what I learned about the TL residents (or guests) that throw their trash out on the side of the road:
- They drink Lite Beer. I picked up 36 cans of beer on the side of the road – the majority of them in the middle berm, which means they’re probably being thrown out the driver’s side window. …that’s scary!
- They drink Fast Food beverages. I picked up 19 cups along with lids and straws from fast food establishments.
- They chew tobacco. I picked up 18 water bottles. Several of them were still half full of water. Several were full of spittle.
- They prefer Pepsi and Mountain Dew over other soft drinks. I picked up 8 cans of Pepsi, 7 cans of Mountain Dew, 5 cans of Coke, and 5 cans of Root Beer and other misc soft drinks.
- They like energy drinks. I picked up 6 cans of Rockstar, Monster and Red Bull.
- They smoke cigarettes. I picked up 5 empty cigarette packs.
This was all found on a small strip of road past the front entrance gate. I’ll let you decide if you think leaving trash around your own yard is okay, but I’d like to ask that if you drink Lite Beer, fast food beverages, chew tobacco, Pepsi, energy drinks or smoke cigarettes – can you please not leave it along the side of the road? It’s gross.
And most importantly – don’t drink and drive.