Today, May 23rd, has been declared by Gov Tom Wolf, as “143 Day in Pennsylvania”. Inspired by Pennsylvania’s favorite neighbor, Fred Rogers, the television icon from the PBS classic ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” considered 143 to be a special number and shorthand for the phrase ‘I love you’ – the word “I” contains one letter, “love” contains four, and “you” contains three letters. May 23rd is also the 143rd day of the year.
The intention of honoring Rogers with his own day is to encourage Pennsylvanians to be good neighbors as Rogers famously exemplified on his TV show. The statewide campaign is encouraging everyone to do one kind thing for a neighbor today.
In honor of Mister Rogers and “143 Day in Pennsylvania”, the Lake News wants to know what you’re doing to celebrate the day. Comment below, on Facebook, or with the hashtag #143DayinPA to share your kind deeds and what others have done for you. Imagine the change we would see in our community if each of the 3500+ residents of Treasure Lake participated.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Check in on a neighbor you haven’t seen for a while
- Bake cookies and take your kids to door bell ditch them on a neighbors doorstep
- Send an email, make a call, or tell a Treasure Lake employee something you appreciate about their service
- Honk and yell, “Thank you”, to security at the front gate
- Offer to cut a neighbor’s grass
- Go for a walk and pickup trash
- Bring in your neighbor’s trash cans
- Have friends over for dinner … or take them out to Duffers’
What are your ideas? Comment below or email email@example.com. Be sure to visit the kindness generator at https://143day.dced.pa.gov/ for additional ideas and check out the kindness tracker!